By John Holmgren – TheExpertResumeWriter.com
I’m writing an ebook to help people looking for work plan their campaign.
If you’ve tuned in here before, you know that I’m an ex VP-Sales and former
owner of a recruiting agency (headhunter).
I know that people out of work and out of their comfort zone, get anxious.
Not sure of what to do next. Not a good state of mind in looking for a job.
The purpose of the ebook is to provide a plan to maximize the chance of
getting work. There are 7 chapters (at the moment). What follows is the
outline of chapter 1. The premise: you can’t solve a problem you haven’t defined.
Hope it helps.
Chapter 1 – The 7 Step Roadmap to Finding a Job
Step 1 – Write a Job Description, which must include:
What do I want to do?
- Define the position you want; list other alternatives
- With what sort of organization do I want to work
- What are jobs that I have liked where I have had success
- Do I want full time, part time or contract work
- In what industry do I want to work
- Do my qualifications match that industry’s requirements – check online profiles
- Do I need more education to reach that goal
- How much money do I have to make
- Will I make compromises in money and my job title
Where do I want to work?
- With a local organization, or will I relocate
- Do I know all firms in a commute area that can hire me; define the total marketplace
- Will I target a specific industry or take the first opportunity that comes along
- Will I take a position with less responsibility / money than my prior job
What personal issues will effect my decision?
- Do I work well alone or am I better working with people
- Do I understand my strongest skills
- Do I understand my less skilled / less motivated areas
- What motivates me
- What do I not want to do
- What are my favorite things to do
It’s easier to get a job if you have a job; you’re emotionally stronger